In today’s times, compliance and control reign supreme. That’s no surprise given the volatility and paranoia in the corporate world due to economic macro environment, threats from technology, government regulations, unions and such…While organizations grapple with all this and more, its behoveth on us not to forget who’s at the front and centre of our business!
- Who creates value for your client & the firm? Is it your product & service or your people?
- Who is the advocate of your organization’s brand? Is it marketing or your employee?
- Who is the custodian of your company’s culture? HR or the employee!
- Who do your prospective customers & employees believe more? Information on your company website or social media posts of your employees?
Who then has really won the war for Talent?
The answer is “blowin in the wind” and has been for quite a while now! The proverbial employee of course! Now’s is the time for us to applaud them in letter and spirit.
Dale Carnegie said – People work for money but will go the extra mile for recognition, praise and appreciation. Many organizations do a stellar work around appreciating their employees. The names they have given to their recognition program (some that I know of are Cheers, Samaan, ICON, Stars) acknowledge the fact that they know that their employee is “The champion”. If that be the case, lets broaden the definition, reach and scope of our recognition programs.
Lots of research and data tells us that many companies value longevity; the tenure of the employee above all, which is great as loyal employee in today’s VUCA times is of great asset. After all they are one’s who have deep contextual knowledge and know just when and how to adjust the sail of their company’s boat when its stormy and windy weather. Experience often trump’s enthusiasm!
Besides loyalty, I want to make a strong case here for recognizing employee for other things as:
- Failing fast and learning early with no fear of retribution
- Disrupting hence innovating fuelled by organizational resources
- Making sacrifices as they steadfastly uphold values
- Imploding rather than exploding hence releasing incredible energy
- Doing the right thing…for the customer & colleagues when in conflict
When it’s about saying “Well done” & “Thank you”, bust all hierarchy. Let recognition come not just from the top but from all and from all far flung corners of the organization. Build such a strong culture of recognition that it sweeps across the organization like a tsunami.
Let us “catch” our people doing right and watch the magic begin! It’s time to WIN together!
1st published for SHRM Annual Conference – 2017 #SHRMiAC17